Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas at my house

Truth be told,
Christmas is not my favorite holiday.

There were years when I ignored it completely.

When I moved to Maine some years back, I decided to bring to life an idea of Christmas that I was more comfortable with.

So, I invite you to visit for a moment...

Christmas at my house.

I like the idea of spending as little mullah as possible on this season.  For me, money dulls any Spirit that the season holds.
When I focus on money and things, I quickly lose sight of the true meaning.

This year... I happily have time on my hands so I decided to make some wreaths.

It would be a slight exaggeration to say that I have spent $20 so far this Christmas Season.
Wahoo!

My Christmas tree this year was destined for a brush fire when it was rescued by my hubby.


The greens for my wreaths were given to me by a friend who has recently cut down some trees in her yard.

Although I had plenty of ribbon to make Bows, I had much more fun gathering things to decorate with as I walked with my hubby and dog Finnegan through the woods around my house.

I have discovered joy in making things beautiful with what I have on hand.

So this is what I started with.


As I built them, each wreath spoke to me differently.


This one for my parents front door.


This one for some dear friends.


This one for my hubby's brother.


And these ones, for us.



Our tree has been decorated the same way for the past few years.

It is so... us.
My hubby and I both grew up along the shore of Connecticut.
We love Maine but, as we are in the heart of potato county... we are land locked.

We miss the shoreline DEEPLY!

For years in Connecticut, every Sunday we would walk the beach together and collect Sea Glass.
When we moved, all that glass went into a plastic bag and just sat in the back of a closet.
When we decided to start putting a tree up again...
I made ornaments out of the glass using thread and Mod Podge.

the result is...

My Tree!

My tree always brings me to a place of gratitude.
Each and every piece of glass represents a precious moment spent with my hubby.
It takes my breath away to realize that even though the pieces of glass on this tree are many...
they represent only a small portion of the blessings in my life, past and present.

Now all I have to do is wait for the day.
Everyone is coming over for a big family breakfast.
My favorite part!!
I get to cook.

My wish for you during this season is that you experience joy!
Take some time to swim around in all the blessings of your life.
Leave your worries for another time.

Merry Christmas!



6 comments:

  1. and a very Merry Christmas to you, my dear. I love your blog. I really have no feel of the Christmas spirit whatsoever this year. The wire tree my friend made for me last year has been a light in the living room since then. Reading your blog makeds me full of the season and included in your celebration of spirit! Thank you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy, Your wreaths are beautiful!!! What a wonderful gift. Love your tree. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog. It is so interestingly and meaningfully (is that a word?)written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am so inspired!! I love the simplicity and natural beauty of your creations. You are obviously very talented and those wreaths are going to some very lucky recipients!!

    I'm your newest follower! I would love for you to come by my blog and follow me back if you get a chance :). Found you through Debbiedoos newbie party.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Wreaths! You are so very talented! I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for reminding us of the simplicity of Christmas. God has blessed us with so much and many times we just want more, when He has already given us what we need. Love your sea glass tree! My family owns a house on the Chesapeake Bay in VA. We have spent many hours picking up those beautiful pieces. Hopefully after the New Year I will post some of my projects on my blog. I'll let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Peggy, I read your patch and feel so peaceful; I view your photos and see your talent; and I read about your love of cooking and hope I will someday enjoy cooking as much as you. It's wonderful to hear you and Tim and doing well. All the best in 2012. Donna Moore

    ReplyDelete